Saturday, January 28, 2012

It's Chai Man!

I love simple recipes that can be adapted and changed to any ones preference! This simple recipe was passed on to me by my good friend Katy Meacham, and she first found it at a yoga studio in Austin, Texas. It’s really the perfect winter beverage, supporting immunity, while tasting oh so good. I have the hardest time sticking to any recipe for long, and while I was moving away from fueling my day with caffeine, my Chai got a whole lot more interesting. I have then added a mixture of adaptogenic herbs to support immunity, adrenal health, and energy.

All of us have habitual patterns, our daily rituals, that help to mark the beginning or conclusion of an activity, or that just feel good to us. On my healing journey I have had to really look at the patterns served me presently, and which patterns are some levels, however deep and quietly, serve who I used to be. Caffeine has been the way that I could “get ready for the world”, be on my game, as well as being the beverages that tasted the best to me. I observed that my movement towards caffeine was usually out of a low level of anxiety of the future, or a desire to alter my present state. After years and years of massive caffeine consumption, my inner guidance, said “Enough already I need a break.”

Caffeine like all powerful medicines has a beautiful place in your kitchen pharmacopeia. It is a nervous system stimulant, diuretic and very effective headache treatment. When consumed habitually and excessively it can be depleting, and when coupled with high and/or chronic stress, tax the adrenals to exhaustion. And adrenal exhaustion is no fun, and takes great effort to heal. Taking periodic and extended breaks from caffeine is a great way to remain strong, resilient, and adaptive. This Chai recipe is a wonderful way to nourish and energize your body at any time, and is a great addition to a caffeine fast.

One thing I have learned in all of this health-fooding, is that I cannot remove one delicious thing, with out adding another of equal (or as close to as possible) tastiness. This is Robin’s Law of Deliciousness and can be applied to any area of ones life where an activity no longer feels like it serves your most awesome state of vitality and holistic health. Don’t just deny yourself; creatively add in something that feels nourishing in a different, and yet equally delicious way. In order for any thing to be sustainable it must be enjoyable. I found this easier to practice when I keep in mind that, our preferences change over time, evolving as we evolve.

So, without further ado…..

Chai For Every-Body-

Basic Yogi Chai Ingredients:

• 20 Cardamom Pods
• 10-20 Whole Black Peppercorns
• 4-5 Cinnamon Sticks
• 10-15 Whole Cloves
• 2 Ounces Fresh Ginger sliced into ¼ inch circles
• 3-4 Liters Filtered or Spring Water

Adaptogenic Herbs to Support Immunity and Glandular Health:


• Your choice of the following adaptogenic herbs: 10-20gms Reishi Mushroom, 1-2 Tablespoons Dried: Goij Berries, Eleuthero, Astragalas, Ginseng, Holy Basil, Cordecyps Mushroom, Chaga Mushroom, 1 whole fresh Nutmeg quartered, and 1 teaspoon Schizandra Berries

Put water into a stainless steel or pyrex pot at a medium heat. (With most herbs you never want to violently boil, but instead have the water gently rolling and bubbling heat. This extracts the medicinal alkaloids from the plants without destroying the essential oils.) Add the herbs first to the water and let simmer for 20mins, then add the Chai spices for an additional 20mins. These plants also have incredibly potent medicinal action within the body, but you don’t want to destroy the delicate essential oils, that contain much of the beneficial elements present, by overheating them. If you keep the heat mild, this probably won’t occur, even if the Chai is kept on the stove warming all day. Add extra water at any time if the Chai is too strong in flavor.


Pour herbal concoction into mug and add coconut cream, rice or nut milk, or raw milk and if you like it sweet- stevia, xylitol, or raw honey. I also add raw cacao powder to make an especially special treat. Raw cacao, unlike heated and processed chocolate, contains no caffeine, but is gently stimulating. Every-body is different and this could be too stimulating for some. I however love it!

Enjoy your fabulous creation in the cozy warmth of your home, while winter swirls dances outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment